Oakley Outlet Man held after backpacks found

Man held after backpacks found at Boston Marathon ceremony

Shortly after ceremonies ended Tuesday to commemorate the one year anniversary of the Boston Marathon bombing, two unattended backpacks in the area of the Boylston Street finish line came to the attention of police, who evacuated the neighborhood.

The Boston Police Department called in the bomb squad and performed what is known as a “controlled disruption” of the bags, police department spokesman David Estrada said.

Estrada was not sure what might have been in the backpacks and he was not sure what method was used to detonate the bags. Tuesday night, according to Estrada.

Earlier, crowds gathered to remember the four who died in connection with the April 15, 2013, bombing at the finish line and the hundreds who were injured. Many of those who lost limbs in the in Oakley Outlet cident took part. Norden, both who lost legs after the bombing, walk across the finish line when they overheard a voice on a police officer’s radio say something about a backpack. Both were in town for Sunday’s end to the One Run for Boston charity relay and Steele will run the Boston Marathon next wee Oakley Outlet k.

“They sounded frantic, it was a distressed kind of thing,” said Zuroweste, 37, of the voice on the police radio. “It was like a distressed kind of thing.”

Suddenly, the police started telling people to get out of the area.

“They were just like, ‘Get off the street. Get out, go. You’ve got to go right now,’ ” said Steele, 42.

Running coach Laura Ingalls was at Heartbreak Hill at about mile 21 of the marathon last year when the bombs went off. She was guiding runners to the end of the 26.2 mile race when they were pulled off the course. She was able to charge her phone at a stranger’s house and hear from their television what was going on. When she told her runners what was happening, some went into hysterics, she said.

On Tuesday, Ingalls was waiting inside Oakley Outlet a restaurant right near the finish line for Zuroweste, Steele and other friends when she heard what happened. Tuesday’s incident brought back for her all that happened last year and made her angry, she said.

“Those survivors have become our symbol of hope and to think of what they must have gone through emotionally” when the incident Oakley Outlet happened, said Ingalls, 34, of Newton, Mass. “I’m really trying to calm down. It was infuriating.”